After 25 years, the Espresso Café in the University of New Mexico Hospital (UNMH) is ready for a new name and a new logo. Please submit your suggested name for the cafe and/or logo idea, along with your contact info, to firstname.lastname@example.org by April 5.
New Mexico Poison and Drug Information Center offers Halloween safety tips
October 29, 2014
Have a safe and happy Halloween by following these guidelines from the New Mexico Poison and Drug Information Center:
- Read instructions when applying costume makeup, face paint, glitter or hair spray. Select non-toxic materials when using makeup and watch for skin irritations like rash or itching. If an irritation occurs wash the makeup off immediately with soap and water. Keep all cosmetics out of the reach of children.
- Feed your children before they go out trick or treating so they will not be tempted to eat candy before an adult has inspected it.
- Have an adult inspect all candy or toys received in trick or treating. Only eat treats that are in original, unopened wrappers. Discard candy if wrappers are faded, have holes or tears or show signs of loose wrapping or re-wrapping.
- Check homemade treats and fruits for foreign objects that may have been inserted or injected. Look for pins, razor blades, and needles.
- Drugs can look like candy. If you are not sure it is candy throw it away.
- Remember that some treats can be poisonous to pets, especially chocolate.
- Dry ice can be used in punch bowls but do NOT use in individual glasses because it can cause frostbite.
- Call NMPDIC if you have questions or concerns about Halloween treats or what to do if makeup gets in the eyes or ingested: 1-800-222-1222.
The award-winning documentary “The Providers,” featuring UNM School of Medicine alumni Leslie Hayes, MD, Matt Probst, PA-C, and College of Nursing alumnus Chris Ruge, RN, will screen on Saturday, March 30 at 10 a.m. and 1 p.m in the UNM Student Union Building (SUB). The national broadcast debut of “The Providers” documentary is set for Monday, April 8 on Independent Lens | PBS.
Please join the HSC Office for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion (OfDEI) in welcoming Lindsay Smart, PhD, as Director for Leadership.