Dr. Andrew Weil, Other Integrative Medicine Pioneers to Participate in UNM S.I.M.P.L.E. Conference
Best selling author, Andrew Weil, M.D., as well as other Integrative Medicine pioneer researchers will participate in the second UNM Health Sciences Center "Symposium of Integrative Medicine Professionals in the Land of Enchantment" (SIMPLE), October 14 -17 at the Sheraton Old Town in Albuquerque.
The symposium is sponsored by the UNM Health Sciences Section for Integrative Medicine within the School of Medicine's Internal Medicine Department. Dr. Arti Prasad, chief, Section of Integrative Medicine at UNM, will serve as course director.
Featured speakers during the three-day conference will include:
· Andrew Weil, M.D. - Director, Program in Integrative Medicine, University of Arizona
· Ralph Snyderman, M.D. - Chancellor Emeritus, Duke University (Winner of the Bravewell Leadership Award in Integrative Medicine)
· Wayne Jonas, M.D. - first Director of Office of Alternative Medicine within the National Institutes of Health
· Richard Nahin, M.D. - Senior Advisor, National Institutes of Health/ National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine
· Larry Dossey, M.D., - Nationally Recognized physician and writer on spirituality and integrative medicine,
· John Astin, M.D. - Author of numerous nationwide Integrative Medicine surveys.
"We believe our speakers represent what is the state of the art in Integrative Medicine research today," said Prasad. "Each year we are seeing more and more acceptance of the idea of integrative medicine. We are particularly excited to be offering special presentations by high-ranking members of the Office of Alternative Medicine within the National Institutes of Health about the research they are sponsoring within the field."
Weil will kick off the symposium with a talk and panel discussion, "Bringing Medicine Back to Its Roots." He will also speak at a book signing fundraiser at 6 p.m. at the Sheraton Old Town on Friday, October 15.
For more information on the symposium, call the UNM School of Medicine Continuing Medical Education office at 272-3942. The brochure for the conference can also be viewed at: http://hsc.unm.edu/cme/2004%20Web%20Info/SIMPLE2004/SIMPLE-04Index.shtml
Contact: Cindy Foster, 272-3322