Poison Center Poison Center

Halloween Safety

New Mexico Poison & Drug Information Center offers tips on staying safe on Halloween

The importance of checking your children’s treats before they eat them cannot be stressed enough. Here are some prevention tips from the New Mexico Poison & Drug Information Center to avoid an accidental poisoning on Halloween:

  • Check all candy and treats for anything that looks suspicious. Check wrappers for tears, holes and punctures. Also inspect the candy for any signs of tampering. If something looks suspicious, throw it away.
     
  • Feed your children before going out to trick-or-treat, so they are less likely to gobble down their treats before they can be checked. 
     
  • Go with your children while they gather their treats. Only accept homemade items from people you know and trust. 
     
  • Remember that chocolate is toxic to dogs. Keep all candy and gum out of sight and reach of your fur-babies. 
     
  • Only use non-toxic makeup paint. If makeup paint gets in the eyes, rinse eyes for 10 minutes in lukewarm running water. Then call us at 1-800-222-1222. 
     
  • Avoid using colored contact lenses unless they are prescribed by an optometrist. 
     
  • The liquid in glow sticks are extremely irritating to the eyes, nose and mouth. It causes an intense burning sensation, although the liquid does not actually cause tissue burns. Again, rinse affected area with lukewarm water, and then call us 1-800-222-1222. 
     
  • If you need help with a poisoning or have any questions about treats, talk to one of our experts at 1-800-222-1222. They are here to offer free public assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, even on holidays! 

Related Stories