New UNMH Clinical Neurosciences Center Opens
UNM Hospitals will host an Open House on Friday, January 27, from 1-3 p.m. to celebrate the opening of the new Clinical Neurosciences Center, a state-of-the-art multidisciplinary diagnostic, treatment and research center. The center is located at 900 Camino de Salud NE.
The new UNM Hospitals Clinical Neurosciences Center features clinical service that include:
· Adult/Pediatric Neurology
· Adult/Pediatric Neurosurgery
· Pain Consultation & Treatment Center
· Chronic Pain and Spine Physical Therapy Clinic
The 31,000 square foot facility provides some of the most comprehensive neurology, neurosurgery and pain management care in the Southwest. In a unique arrangement, the patient-centered, interdisciplinary clinics provide patients with “one stop shopping” for medical care. Under one roof, a patient can see healthcare providers from a number of specialties including primary and specialty-care physicians, physical therapists and mental health professionals.
“We are proud to be able to bring together all the interrelated fields for treatment of complex cases so that we can build on each other’s efforts to serve our patients,” said Howard Yonas, M.D., Chair of Neurosurgery. The center addresses the fact that many chronic conditions have complex roots and need a multi-layered approach for care to be successful.
As an example, back pain treatment is one of the most common complaints patients address with their physicians. Yet symptoms can range from neck pain to lower backaches while its causes can range from trauma to degenerative diseases of the spine, diabetic neuropathy or myofasial pain. At the Neurosciences Center, a pain patient will have the opportunity to see specialists from a number of specialties as a treatment and management plan is developed that is unique for their case.
Among UNM Hospital Center’s services being offered are:
• Only Stroke Center in the State
• Only video monitoring and surgical epilepsy program in the State
• Only level I trauma center in the State providing the largest neurotrauma and Neuroscience ICU with state of the art clinical care and research
• Only center for comprehensive spinal health
• Only center for comprehensive pain management Sub-specially care offered through the clinic includes:
• Movement disorders management-medical and surgical
• Pediatric neurology and neurosurgery
• Comprehensive multiple sclerosis center
• Comprehensive epilepsy cente
r • Certified Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis Center (ALS)
• Center for Cognitive Disorders (Alzheimer’s disease, Dementia)
• Comprehensive Center for Chronic Pain Management
• Comprehensive Center for Management of Spine Disorders
• Skull Base Surgery Center (ENT and Neurosurgery)
• Neuro-Interventional Surgery
• Management of Neuromuscular Disorders
• Rehabilitative Medicine for spine and other neurological disorders
• Management of traumatic injury of the brain and spine
Contact: Cindy Foster, 272-3322