UNM Hospitals is proud to announce that a field of 62 talented nurses was nominated by patients, coworkers and supervisors to be considered for a 2009 New Mexico Nursing Excellence Award. These awards are presented by the New Mexico Center for Nursing Excellence. In its fifth year, the program presents awards in 21 Nursing Excellence categories. The following UNMH nurses were award recipients:
· Elizabeth Candelaria from Hematology-Oncology won for the Medical-Surgical category;
· Diane Moya from Women's Health won for the Maternal-Child/Women's Health category;
· Cynthia Martinez from Neuroscience Intensive Care won for the Management/Emerging Leader category;
· Zita Picher from the Perioperative Services won for the Perioperative category; and
· Lee Michael Paulfrom Perioperative Services won as the Outstanding Nursing Student, and is now a permanent member of the UNMH staff.
Additionally, Steve McKernan, CEO of UNM Hospitals, was honored with the Friend of Nursing Award. This is not an organizational award; it is awarded by others from throughout the state.UNM Hospitals honored its nominees with a reception tea on October 20 at the hospital’s Pavilion. Winners were announced during the New Mexico Center for Nursing Excellence banquet on Saturday, October 24. UNMH is proud and honored to have these exceptional nurses as a part of our community.
Contact: HSC Public Affairs, 272-3322