UNM, Wal-Mart Partner for "Vial of Life Program"
The "Vial of Life" is a plastic medicine bottlejust like the one you get your medications in at the pharmacy. It contains paperwork to list important medical information including health conditions, medications, allergies and emergency contacts. In the event of a medical emergency when you could not communicate, the Vial of Life could help save your life by providing emergency responders with the medical information they need to treat you.
"Anyone can benefit from having a Vial of Life, especially senior citizens and anyone who has a chronic illness or who lives alone," said Jess Benson, Director of the New Mexico Poison Center .
The Vials are free and you can get one at any Wal-Mart Pharmacy. For more information on the Vial of Life visit http://hsc.unm.edu/pharmacy/poison.
Instructions on how to use the Vial of Life
- Open the vial and take out the medical information form.
- Fill out the form completely and write clearly.
- Roll up the form and put it inside the empty vial.
- Put the Vial of Life on the inside door of your refrigerator where you can easily see it.
- Put the specially designed Vial of Life sticker on your front door or on the window closest to your front door, so emergency responders can see it.
- Keep the information in the vial up-to-date and accurate.
When traveling, take the Vial of Life with you. Place it in your vehicle's glove box, in your purse or in your personal luggage.
New Mexico Poison Centersaving lives one call at a time.
Contact: Cindy Foster, 272-3322