Vision 2020 The University of New Mexico's Comprehensive, Integrated Approach to Healthcare Reform
The University of New Mexico Health Sciences Center (UNM HSC) is a public academic health center which is committed to implement the major aspects of the Patient Protection and Affordability Care Act, whether or not the institution receives funding for each section of the Act.
UNM HSC offers a model for other public and private academic health centers, for it is the nation’s the first to set as its Vision and Strategic Mission, the measure of its success, the health of its state populations. Called, “Vision 2020,” it states,“UNM HSC will work with community partners to help New Mexicomore progress in health and health equity than any other state by 2020”
To fulfill this Vision, all colleges, schools, departments and programs at UNM HSC have incorporated into their annual performance plans how their education, service and research enterprises will measurably improve the health of New Mexico.
On the afternoon ofWednesday, September 15, 2010the entire UNM HSC, its students, faculty and staff,participated in theVision 2020 Symposium. The intent wasto announce Vision 2020 to the institution, to the communities, to state agencies and to state and national legislators the kick-off of Vision 2020, to learn from each other—from hundreds of posters, presentations and exhibits illustrating the range of interventions existing and planned, to explore how we can be more effective in improving the health of New Mexico’s communities, to learn how these efforts are relevant to health care reform and to county-by-county health indicators.
I t is intended that this approach will serve as a model for institutions nationally.
UNM HSC is poised to assume a national leadership role in making “community health” the central vision and mission of all academic health centers for this Vision is built on a series of important initiatives the institution has initiated in the New Mexico which have been emulated by others and have had national implications:
· It is the only state with a 24/7, statewide Nurse Advice Line free to all callers and successful in significantly reducing unnecessary ER visits
· It is the state which created the Health Extension Rural Offices (HEROs) program, created on the agricultural Cooperative Extension and the model used by Congressional staff to develop Section 5405 of the PPACA- “Primary Care Extension Program”
· It has extended the concept of the Patient-Centered Medical Home in address community health through its “Health Commons” models of care in rural and urban communities
· It is the smallest and perhaps the most rural state to receive a Clinical Translational Science Center award from NIH and disseminate its strategies to larger institutions receiving the award
· It has the first medical school in which all medical students will graduate with a Public Health Certificate\
· It is one of the leading minority-serving institutions which has created BA/MD, BA/PharmD, and BA/DDS programs into which rural and underrepresented minority students predominate· It was recently the recipient of the AAMC’s Spencer Foreman Award as the leading academic health center in Community Service.