Translate
${alt}
By Kayleen Schenk

Exceptional College of Nursing Summer Graduates

With another semester successfully completed, The University of New Mexico College of Nursing graduates are one step closer to achieving their goals and contributing to nursing in New Mexico and beyond. Their committed studies in the classroom mastering an intensive curriculum and hours of clinical work spent learning the practical skills needed to advance their careers and education have paid off. The class of Summer 2023 is crossing the stage this month and among them, many of whom earned important awards.

The College of Nursing strives to prepare nurses to enter patient care as complex problem-solvers ready to treat patients with empathy and skill.  The graduates awarded below are no exception. They rose to the challenges before them throughout their curriculum and show astonishing promise as they to continue that dedicated work the nursing workforce.

The Spring 2023 College of Nursing awards and their recipients are:

Estelle Rosenblum Dissertation Award Recipient: Amanda Heffernan

amanda.jpg

This award recognizes the best dissertation or thesis in the College of Nursing for that academic year, decided by the graduate faculty. Any dissertation or thesis completed since the previous May graduation is eligible.

Heffernan was nominated by the faculty for her excellent dissertation entitled:

Pregnancy in United States Immigration Detention: Listening to Migrant Women’s Stories.

“I’m so grateful for the support I received during my dissertation journey from UNM College of Nursing’s wonderful faculty, especially my chair, Amy Levi., PhD, CNM, WHNP and committee member, Sharon Ruyak, PhD, RN, CNM.  I am now teaching in the midwifery program at Seattle University’s College of Nursing, and plan to continue pursing community-engaged research on the intersections of migration and reproductive justice,”  Heffernan said.

Outstanding NMNEC Dual Degree Award Recipients: Jhulyana Balasta, Central New Mexico Community College and Joshua Wussow, Central New Mexico Community College joshua.jpg  

Students receive this award for their achievements and growth as a student during their time as NMNEC Community College student.  Student can stand out for their leadership, commitment to inclusion, and innovation or integrity for their studies, peers and patients.

jhulyana.jpg“Looking back at my journey in nursing school, I can’t help but be grateful as I have learned a lot which allowed me to grow personally and professionally. The challenges I encountered brought forth a rollercoaster of emotions, mostly consisting of tears and frustration. There were moments that I doubted and asked myself, ‘Is this the right path for me?’  Despite everything, I encountered friends and triumphs that became my strength. They helped me continue forward, knowing that someday I’ll be able to be a pillar of strength for someone during their most vulnerable moments,” Balasta said.

Pre-Licensure Academic Achievement Award Recipient: Mollie Browne

Students receive this award for their achievements and growth as a student during their time as a pre-licensure student. The student can stand out for their leadership, commitment to inclusion, innovation and/or integrity for their studies, peers and patients.

RN-BSN Academic Achievement Award Recipient: Samantha Romero

samantha.jpgStudents receive this award for their achievements and growth as a student during their time as an RN-BSN student. The student can stand out for their leadership, commitment to inclusion, innovation and/or integrity for their studies, peers and patients.

All award recipients received a monetary award made possible by UNM College of Nursing Funds. Donate today at  hsc.unm.edu/nursing/donate.

Categories: College of Nursing, Community Engagement