Translate
UNM health sciences building in Rio Rancho.
By Kayleen Schenk

Destined to Care: Origin Stories of UNM College of Nursing Students

In the world of health care, the journey to becoming a nurse often begins with a pivotal moment – a moment that sparks a deep-seated passion for helping others. For Cody Cottle and Anna Smagacz, two level four students from The University of New Mexico College of Nursing Pre-Licensure BSN program at the Health Sciences Rio Rancho campus, these moments came in the form of traumatic experiences that ignited their desire to pursue a career in nursing.

Cottle’s story traces back to a childhood incident when her brother suffered a severe hand injury. As a part of a family filled with nurses, she had heard stories, but had never fully realized the intensity of the profession. Instead of being repelled by the sight of blood and suffering, Cottle found herself drawn to the course of her brother’s care in the emergency room.

BSN nursing student
I was intrigued by the entire process of his care. I was scared, but seeing the nurses in action, their calm demeanor, made me realize I wanted to be a part of that world.
Cody Cottle, The University of New Mexico College of Nursing Pre-Licensure BSN Program

She says, “I was intrigued by the entire process of his care. I was scared, but seeing the nurses in action, their calm demeanor, made me realize I wanted to be a part of that world.”

Similarly, Smagacz’s path to nursing was also shaped by a traumatic event in an emergency room during a nursing internship. While assisting with the care of a gunshot victim, Smagacz was faced with the daunting task of confronting a life-threatening injury. Instead of succumbing to fear or hesitation, Smagacz stepped up to the challenge, guided by other nurses’ instructions.

Anna Smagacz nursing student.
I felt an intense calm I didn’t expect, but was super grateful for. I got to help someone on the worst day of their life and I’m excited to keep learning how to do that here in the College of Nursing.
Anna Smagacz, The University of New Mexico College of Nursing Pre-Licensure BSN Program

Smagacz shares, “I felt an intense calm I didn’t expect, but was super grateful for. I got to help someone on the worst day of their life and I’m excited to keep learning how to do that here in the College of Nursing.”

Both of their experiences were underscored by the mentorship and guidance of skilled health care professionals who acted as role models during pivotal moments of their lives. Cottle and Smagacz hone their passion and build their skills at the College of Nursing Pre-Licensure BSN program at the Health Sciences Rio Rancho campus. Their personal drive, along with a curriculum that spans clinical care, rural nursing and instruction from esteemed faculty will lead them to their goals of becoming knowledgeable and caring nurses able to serve their patients.

In a world where origin stories are often associated with superheroes, it’s important to recognize that health care workers are some of the unsung heroes of our communities. As they embark on their journey to become nurses, stories like Cottle’s and Smagacz’s remind us that everyone has the potential to be a hero in their own right, simply by offering care and compassion to those in need.

Categories: College of Nursing, Community Engagement, Top Stories